If you are looking for some time filler activities - you could always practice high frequency words with your child.
Most children know their first 100 HFW already but it is important to keep revisiting them!
I have added the next 200 HFW and the Year 1 and 2 Common Exception words (these are the words that the children are expected to be able to read by the end of KS1).
Tips and tricks for learning HFW
- Turn it into a game! You could play snap or a memory matching game with the words
- Little and often is the key - short bursts are often more effective than long practice sessions
- Ask your child to find the word from a selection
- Show your child the word with a spelling error - can they spot it?
- Challenge your child to put the words into silly sentences
- Lay the cards out, give your child a fly swat or spatula and get them to swat the word you say!